In keeping with its long-time commitment to support emerging technologies, major North American computer products and consumer electronics distributor D&H Distributing, a computer products distributor, is making a pitch to Channel pros with a collection of "emerging technologies." Touting netbooks with 15-hour battery lives, touchscreen all-in-one PCs and, of course, Windows 7, D&H is billing itself as "focusing on break-out functionality."
Rob Eby, vice president of purchasing at D&H, says his company is embracing "new features and capabilities" in order to enable its customers to "differentiate themselves."
In addition to its latest "emerging technologies" focus, the distributor is also on board with a number of new SMB initiatives. For instance, Cisco recently announced it has expanded the Cisco Small Business and Cisco Small Business Pro portfolios "to total more than 100 purpose-built products," according to the vendor. D&H says this includes fresh applications and adjusted pricing for networking, surveillance, voice and conferencing, network storage, and data security solutions.
To increase the reseller's purchasing power for these emerging products, D&H's VIP Partner Program enables customers accumulate points on select inventory. Points are redeemable for 1 percent off almost any product that D&H carries, and resellers may receive up to 50 percent off qualifying demo products.
Some of the new technologies being highlighted by D&H Distributing include:
- Server 2008 R2--Microsoft's update of the Server 2008 platform. It offers virtualization tools, Web resources, management enhancements, and Windows
- Digital Signage/Small Form Factor PCs--Intel is promoting the use of digital signage solutions (with embedded Core 2 Duo processors) in combination with small form-factor PCs, such as those built into an In Win Mini-ITX chassis. These mini-computers are compact enough to place alongside the signage system, eliminating the need to wire these units to a back-office.
- Evolving Netbooks--This mobile genre continues to become sleeker, lighter, and more portable. Battery life has increased dramatically, with models hitting the 8-hour mark. D&H carries some of the category's most popular brands, including Acer, ASUS, MSI, HP, Lenovo, Samsung and Toshiba.
- All-in-One Computers--The standard tower/monitor/keyboard configuration is no longer the only available desktop scenario. All-in-one computers compact the entire profile of the PC. Examples of all-in-ones being carried by D&H include HP's dx9000 TouchSmart Business PC, Acer's Aspire Z5600 and Lenovo's IdeaCentre A Series.
- LED LCD Desktop Monitors--LED backlighting technology in the workstation. Two notable products are the 22-inch widescreen VLED221wm monitor from ViewSonic and the Samsung XL2370 1080p.
- HD USB Video Camcorders--D&H carries Pure Digital's Flip USB video camcorder line as well as HD versions of the Mino and Ultra models. Other products are also carried, such as Creative's Vado HD pocket videocam and Aiptek's HD-Action 1080p camcorder.
- eBooks--D&H has entered the e-reader segment with partner Bookeen, makers of Cybook "ePaper" electronic reading devices.