Data backup solutions provider STORServer is offering SMBs a new local/cloud hybrid option. Called Hybrid Appliance (HA), the solution starts with STORServer’s software and then bundles it and fully integrates it with the customer’s existing hardware.
HA is designed to enable data backup across multiple platforms and locations, including virtual machines and local and remote devices. It supports most operating systems, applications and database technologies. Daily management is facilitated from a single user interface, called STORServer Console (SSC).
“The Hybrid Appliance is an ideal solution for customers who want to protect their environment more efficiently with their existing hardware,” explains STORserver president Bill Smoldt. “We’ll take the customer’s hardware and build the system for them by adding Tivoli Storage Manager and all of its components, STORServer Console, and any other required software integration.”
How STORServer’s HA Works
Each HA provides a disk-to-disk-to-disaster recovery copy to disk, tape, cloud, or a STORServer Appliance and uses Enterprise or Basic IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) software (except with the STORServer Instant Restore Appliance).
- The HA software is installed on the customer’s hardware by a STORServer technician.
- Client software is installed on servers and workstations.
- Data flows from local or network storage into online storage pools.
- Online, on-site pools copy to any one of three off-site disaster recovery pools.
- After the initial full backup, subsequent backups are incremental, capturing new and changed data only.
- When a restore is required, the STORServer database produces the list of files to restore, along with their locations in local and off-site storage pools.
- All versions of files (current and older) are available for immediate restore.
- In the event of a loss of data, copies of all versions of all files are available in the optional off-site disaster recovery pool for restoration.
The HA series is positioned and priced for the SMB market. It provides a single point of contact for warranty and support of all software-related concerns.†