May 16, 2017 10:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time
SANTA CLARA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--INTERNET OF THINGS WORLD -– Avnet (NYSE: AVT), a leading global technology distributor, today announced a starter kit specifically designed for the development of Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) applications. The SK002 Visible Things Industrial IoT Starter Kit adds to the company’s Visible Things™ platform, which offers a complete development solution that enables engineers to get their IoT systems and applications quickly designed, tested and deployed. Avnet will debut the kit at Internet of Things World this week at the Santa Clara Convention Center, Booth #302.
Targeting a wide range of industrial markets, the new kit combines secure, integrated hardware and embedded software to connect smart sensors and embedded devices, via gateway solutions or low-power wide area networking technologies, to the cloud and smart enterprise software. The kit will be available for sale in the Americas in June.
“Visible Things simplifies the complexity of secure, edge to enterprise IoT technology,” said Lou Lutostanski, vice president, Internet of Things, Avnet. “This new starter kit significantly accelerates the development of IoT-enabled industrial projects and applications.”
This highly flexible development platform aids in the design of a broad portfolio of industrial applications, including: remote monitoring, predictive maintenance of motors and drives, room control in homes and buildings, lighting, security and surveillance, smart energy metering and healthcare, as well as industrial automation applications such as inspection capabilities, drive monitoring and sensor hubs.
SK002 Visible Things Industrial Starter Kit Features
- The new SK002 Visible Things Industrial IoT Starter Kit offers all the benefits of the platform’s debut starter kit (SK001), with additional functionality, including smart pressure and energy-harvesting sensors, controller area network (CAN) and NFC connectivity, embedded vision and audio, as well as delivering Power over Ethernet (PoE).
- The Renesas Synergy™ S7G2-FBGA224 kit is based around an ARM® M4 Cortex® microcontroller. The Renesas Synergy Platform is a complete, verified, and qualified system solution that includes software, a scalable family of microcontrollers, and development tools.
- Like the original kit, the industrial version includes a smart sensor board with Bluetooth connectivity to send data to a Wi-Fi gateway board, which manages connectivity through cloud services, where sensor data can be visualized and managed via simple tools. Additional communication options are also available.
- The Visible Things platform is supported by an Avnet-designed mobile application that runs on iOS and Android, and provides users with easy device configuration locally while supporting connections to cloud services. This fully integrated application comes with a quick start guide to facilitate edge to enterprise system connections and provide a rapid proof of concept.
Preferred ODM Partner and Platform Support
- Independent design house and original design manufacturer FDI (www.teamfdi.com) provides technical and training support for the Visible Things platform. Avnet provides further support through local Field Application Engineers and online resources.
Internet of Things World Demos
- Avnet is the title sponsor at the Internet of Things World event. Attendees can see live demos of the SK002 Visible Things reference design industrial starter kit and meet with Avnet’s team of IoT experts in Booth #302.
Avnet Edge to Enterprise IoT Platform Speedway
- Avnet, assisted by FDI, will host a series of interactive, hands-on training events featuring the new Visible Things IIoT Starter Kit. The “Edge to Enterprise IoT Platform Speedway” will run from June through September. Visit www.avnet.me/visiblethings for more information and watch for an update on locations and dates in early June.
For additional details on Avnet’s Visible Things platform, related parts and technical resources for the IIoT Starter Kit, please visit Avnet’s Visible Things product page at www.avnet.me/visiblethings.
All brands and trade names are trademarks or registered trademarks, and are the properties of their respective owners. Avnet disclaims any proprietary interest in marks other than its own.
From idea to design and from prototype to production, Avnet supports customers at each stage of a product’s lifecycle. A comprehensive portfolio of design and supply chain services makes Avnet the go-to guide for innovators who set the pace for technological change. For nearly a century, Avnet has helped its customers and suppliers around the world realize the transformative possibilities of technology. Learn more about Avnet at: www.avnet.com.