We started with one HDMI external monitor, and Windows 10 handled all the details exactly like we expected. Let’s give a nod of appreciation to Microsoft for making multiple monitors far easier to support with Win10 than with earlier OSes.
The external monitor seemed exactly as responsive as when it was plugged directly into the laptop. Adding a second monitor, which is not possible with the ASUS laptop we used as a test bed, worked as well. And yes, a third did too, but the desk was getting pretty crowded by then.
To get 5K resolution, the two DisplayPorts work together and plug into one monitor. These monitors are still rare, but there’s nothing wrong with getting prepared for more later. Of course, your laptop’s graphics must support this resolution. Only a few heavy gaming laptops have dual DisplayPort options, but using this dock will support a 5K monitor using only the USB-C port. Very attractive to an admittedly small (but growing) group of users.
The StarTech.com Triple-4K Monitor USB-C Docking Station for Laptops works and looks good doing it. Since executives (and road warriors) are the most common users of new thin and light laptops, anything they put on their desk should catch the eye and work reliably, and this dock does both. Laptops can connect to every peripheral and power via one small cable, making it easy enough for even the least tech-savvy exec to handle correctly.
StarTech.com has two other models in this product family that support dual monitors. One has a 2.5-inch SATA HDD/SDD internal drive bay.
If you have a laptop user who wants a dock with multiple monitor support, up to and including new 5K monitors, there aren’t many choices. StarTech.com claims to be the first one to ship a unit like this and that may be true, but competitors already exist. Whether first or not, the StarTech.com Triple-4K Monitor USB-C Docking Station for Laptops is still at the front of the pack.
Features and Pricing (courtesy of StarTech.com)
PRICING $303.99 MSRP; $240 street; available now from multiple distributors and online retailers
BUS TYPE USB-C
DISPLAYS SUPPORTED 3
FAST-CHARGE PORT(S) 1
- USB Power Delivery Specification Rev. 2.0
- USB Battery Charging Specification Rev. 1.2
- DisplayPort 1.2
- IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u, IEEE 802.3ab
- USB 3.0; backward compatible with USB 2.0 and 1.1
MAXIMUM DIGITAL RESOLUTIONS
- 1x HDMI (DP Alt Mode)—4096 x 2160p @24Hz; 3840 x 2160p @30Hz
- 2x DisplayPort (DisplayLink)—4096 x 2160p @60Hz; 3840 x 2160p @60Hz
- 1x 5K DisplayPort using 2 DP video ports—5120 x 2880 @60Hz
- Lower resolutions are also supported. For example, if the max is 3840 x 2160p (4K), it also supports 2560 x 1600p and 2560 x 1440p.
TYPE AND RATE USB 3.0; 5 Gbit/s
- 2 DisplayPort (20 pin) female
- 1 HDMI (19 pin) female
- 2 USB Type-C (24 pin) USB 3.0 female
- 1 USB 3.0 A (Fast-Charge, 9 pin, SuperSpeed) female
- 3 USB Type-A (9 pin) USB 3.0 female
- 1 RJ-45 female
- 1 3.5 mm mini-jack (4 position) female
- 2 3.5 mm mini-jack (3 position) female
- 1 security lock slot Female