By Jessica Mattison
Technology is a key component of SMBs’ strategies for business success. That’s one of the findings in CompTIA’s 2nd Annual SMB Technology Adoption Trends report. The report is a follow-up to the industry association’s 2008 emerging technologies study, which detailed SMB attitudes toward buying new IT products and services.
The purpose of the study was to gather information to help IT providers focus on the emerging solutions and markets that will result in the greatest business opportunities. These solutions, according to the study, are virtualization, cloud computing, SaaS, managed services, storage, security, mobile computing, unified communications, green IT, and open source.
The survey also found that the majority of SMBs, 71 percent, are willing to pay a premium for new solutions with a proven ROI. Top-of-mind issues for SMB respondents include increasing worker productivity using connectivity and mobility devices, achieving operational efficiency through expanded capacity investment, and disaster recovery. Respondents are also concerned about keeping up with storage demands and managing increasing numbers of devices and networks to accommodate their mobile and remote workers.
To further increase worker productivity and lower costs, 64 percent of SMBs surveyed are upgrading or replacing their legacy IT systems, and 80 percent are looking for solutions that “deliver immediate payback in terms of minimum disruption of business continuity and seamless integration with existing solutions.”
Top Priorities among SMBs
- 55% - Keeping up with storage demands
- 54% - Managing ever-increasing numbers of devices/networks to accommodate mobile/telecommuting workers
- 53% - Providing richer customer experience through the Web
Current SMB Attitudes toward Emerging IT
- 71% - Are willing to pay a premium for new technology if they can be shown a tangible and proven ROI
- 64% - See internal IT staff doing a good job of keeping up with emerging technologies
- 63% - Are constantly evaluating new technologies
- 61% - Agree that new technology is key to staying ahead of the competition
SOURCE: 2010 COMPTIA PHONE TO WEB SURVEY OF 416 SMBs IN MANUFACTUING, FINANCE/INSURANCE, HEALTHCARE, GOVERNMENT, AND PROFESSIONAL SERVICES.