Supermicro Computer Inc. has introduced a complete server and storage rack solutions configured with Inktank Ceph at the OpenStack Summit in Atlanta. Supermicro’s 42U rack object-based storage clusters feature end-to-end 10GbE interconnectivity across triple redundant 1U Monitor nodes and compute/capacity balanced 3.5-inch HDD/SSD storage servers in 2U 12x bay, 4U 36x bay, and 4U 72x bay configurations.
According to Supermicro, the complete cluster solution is engineered to handle extreme scale-out storage applications with maximum performance and reliability to meet the most stringent SLAs. Fully populated rack solutions make it easy for cloud providers to implement and scale with consistent rack-to-rack layouts, simplifying the maintenance and management of multi-petabyte storage deployments.
“With Internet and cloud expansion generating massive amounts of unstructured data, there is an urgent need for extremely scalable, manageable and cost effective storage solutions that go beyond the scope of today’s ordinary storage solutions,” says Charles Liang, president and CEO of Supermicro. “Our Enterprise class, energy efficient server, storage and networking architecture with the sophisticated data synchronization and balancing capabilities of Inktank Ceph deliver a truly extraordinary solution that addresses these industry growth challenges. Our Ceph-based 1U 4x 3.5-inch HDD monitor node and 4U 72x HDD/SSD object-based storage servers combined with high-bandwidth 10GbE network interconnectivity maximize performance while delivering the highest density and practically infinite scalability in our fully integrated 42U rack solutions.”
Supermicro Clusters and Components
- 42U SuperRack Cabinet (SRK-42SE-02)
- 42U-320TB (SRS-42E112-CEPH-01) – Integrated Ceph Rack, 3x Mon, 8x 2U OSD, Networking and PDU
- 42U-1.08PB (SRS-42E136-CEPH-01) – Integrated Ceph Rack, 3x Mon, 9x 4U OSD, Networking and PDU
- 42U-2.16PB (SRS-42E172-CEPH-01) – Integrated Ceph Rack, 3x Mon, 9x 4U OSD, Networking and PDU
- Monitor Node (SYS-6017R-MON1) – Single Intel Xeon E5-2630 v2 Processor, 128GB memory, 4x 3.5-inch hot-swappable 400GB HDDs, dual-port 10G (SFP+)
- 2U 12x HDD/SSD Bay OSD Node (SSG-6027R-OSD040H) – Dual Intel E5-2630 v2 (6-core) Processors, 128GB memory, 2X 400GB SSD, 10x 4TB HDDs, rear 2.5-inch mirrored 40GB hot-swap OS SSDs, dual-port 10G (SFP+)
- 4U 36x HDD/SSD Bay OSD Node (SSG-6047R-OSD120H) – Dual Intel E5-2630 v2 (6-core) Processors, 128GB memory, 6X 400GB SSD, 30x 4TB HDDs, rear 2.5-inch mirrored 40GB hot-swap OS SSDs, quad-port 10G (SFP+)
- 4U 72x HDD/SSD Bay OSD Node (SSG-6047R-OSD240H) – Dual Intel E5-2670 v2 (10-core) Processors, 256GB memory, 12X 400GB SSD, 60x 4TB HDDs, rear 2.5-inch mirrored 40GB hot-swap OS SSDs, quad-port 10G (SFP+)
- 1U Layer 2/3, 1/10GbE Ethernet Switches – 24x (RJ45) 1GbE ports, 4x (CX4, XFP, or SFP+) 10GbE ports (SSE-G24-TG4); 24x (SFP+) 10GbE ports (SSE-X24S / SSE-X3348S(R)
Supermicro’s ready-to-deploy object-based storage solutions are configured, tested, and delivered in 42U rack clusters featuring end-to-end 10GbE interconnectivity with a 1U performance optimized Monitor node, 2U or 4U high density, high capacity Object Storage Daemon nodes, a 10GbE top-of-rack network switch, and out-of-band server management utilities.