D&H Distributing is enhancing its resources for resellers in the area of backup and disaster recovery (BDR) involving products such as storage devices, virus protection, automatic backup solutions, power supply units, and SMB server solutions. In addition, D&H has created training opportunities and materials to help resellers comprehend and communicate the importance of disaster recovery to small business customers.
These resources include a live, interactive Solutions Lab webcast, “Disaster Preparedness - Before, During, and After it All Comes Down,” scheduled for 2:00 p.m. ET on July 31. D&H has added a new partner services marketing brochure template to its library, “Disruption is Not An Option,” which includes tips on how SMBs can enact effective disaster recovery policies.
Reports show that less than half of all small businesses have a data recovery plan in place, despite the fact that survival in the face of a disruptive event is estimated at less than 10 percent without such precautions. “Every business should have a robust, up-to-date server architecture,” says Jeff Davis, senior vice president of sales at D&H. “And they should most certainly have efficient data backup. It’s shocking how many business owners remain under-protected for the sake of avoiding an initial expenditure on BDR products, when their whole livelihoods could depend on it.”
Similar to the Windows XP support cut-off in April, Microsoft is ending support of its popular Server 2003 solutions in July of 2015. Without further intervention from the manufacturer, those networks could be vulnerable to compromise due to misfortunes ranging from flood damage and power outages to full-scale natural disasters.
D&H has been providing the Windows Server 2012/212 R2 solutions for SMB environments as an alternative to Server 2003. The upgraded Server 2012 suite offers cost-effective, application-focused, enterprise-class data center and hybrid cloud solutions that take advantage of more advanced security and redundancy than the original 2003 version.
“We’re trying to instill the value of disaster recovery as a crucial long-term investment,” continues Davis. “A secure disaster management plan will allow companies to safeguard essential customer data—and in turn, their own businesses. This is not just an intelligent way to conduct themselves on an everyday basis, it’s simple self-preservation. It could make the difference between a company surviving or closing down in the wake of an adverse event.”
Sample SMB disaster recovery products available from D&H include:
- APC Smart-UPS LCD 120V: A backup power supply providing an abundant battery to maintain power through outages. The unit protects equipment against damage from surges and spikes that can travel along utility and data lines.
- Carbonite Server Basic: Cloud-based, automatic backup solutions to support small business servers, databases, live applications, and Windows Hyper-V environments.
- McAfee SaaS Endpoint Protection Suite: Managed security solutions that allow SMBs to deploy and control endpoint, email, and web protection through a single, Web-based console.
- Etón American Red Cross AM/FM Weather Alert Radio: This solar-paneled device powers up with the crank of a hand turbine. It incorporates a USB cell phone charger, flashlight, and glow-in-the-dark locator.
- WD Sentinel DS5100 8 TB Storage Plus Server: An ultra-compact, fully configured solution providing automatic backup and restore software for up to 25 users and 50 computers.