“These new machines present an outstanding opportunity for SMBs to move away from the underutilized floor units that addressed the paper-intensive document production needs of the past,” says Steve Feldstein, Brother Director of Marketing for SMB laser products. “By deploying multiple devices in closer proximity to end users, businesses can increase accessibility to help boost productivity in today’s printing environment.”
Deploying printers the size of a small car has always been seen as the most cost-effective way to provide print in paper-heavy offices, so bringing more localized print capabilities is certainly a step outside of the norm. Bold words from Feldstein, but it looks like Brother may have the printers to back it up.
Meet the HL-L9200CDWT laser printer and MFC-L9550CDW laser all-in-one. Brother says these compact printers are designed to meet the higher-volume, color printing demands of mid-sized workgroups in small and medium businesses, and when used as part of an overall workgroup printing strategy can provide improved device access to a greater number of users. Security is still important, even in a compact, so Brother is outfitting these printers with a lot of enterprise level features like Active Directory (using LDAP), user and group feature locks, and a built-in NFC Card Reader for quick walk-up authorization.
The new line is customizable to seemlessly integrate into whatever workflow solution is needed. Both models feature the Brother Solutions Interface, which allows developers to access the machine’s internal web services to create customized workflow solutions. One such example is the ability to integrate PaperCut™, which is a print cost allocation tool that helps save paper and reduce costs through rules-based printing. Additionally, the MFC-L9550CDW, through the Brother Control Center interface lets compliance-driven verticals like healthcare send secure e-mails quickly and easily without disrupting workflow, using Protected Trust3 encrypted email services.
The new line can connect to and print from the standard array of web services, like Dropbox, OneDrive, Box, etc, and can scan to a variety of web and local destinations.
Cost is the ultimate concern, but Brother says the both models offer a low-acquistion cost compared to the big floor models or leases. Per page print costs come in at 2 cents for black and 7.5 cents for color when outfitted with high-yeild cartridges, which they say is up to 50% less than comparable models. Street prices are $699.99 for the HL-L9200CDWT and $799.99 for the MFC-L9550CDW. Full specs below.
HL-L9200CDWT Color Laser Printer key features:
- Fast, high-impact business printing - up to 32ppm color/black, at up to 2400 x 600 dpi resolution
- Wireless 802.11b/g/n, Ethernet and Hi-Speed USB 2.0 interfaces
- Standard input paper capacity of 800 sheets
- 250-sheet capacity paper tray, plus a lower 500-sheet capacity paper tray; both for letter or legal paper
- 50-sheet capacity multi-purpose tray for envelopes, thicker media or custom sizes
- Ships with Super High-Yield toner cartridges in the box (6,000 pages9 black / 6,000 pages9 color)
- Automatic duplex (two-sided) printing
- Mobile device printing10 from compatible Apple® iOS, Android™, Kindle Fire™, or Windows® Phone mobile device. Print via AirPrint™, Google Cloud Print™, the free Brother™ iPrint&Scan app, Wi-Fi Direct® or Cortado Workplace
- 1.8” Color TouchScreen Display with Web Connect lets you print from your DROPBOX,
GOOGLE DRIVE™, BOX, and ONEDRIVE® accounts5
- Active Directory (using LDAP) for network user authentication
- Secure Function Lock for restricting or granting access on a per user or group basis, for up to 100 users, plus the ability to set color page counts or restrict color printing
- ENERGY STAR® Qualified with auto Off Mode, plus Deep Sleep mode that uses <2W when not in use
- USB Direct Interface – print files (JPEG, PDF and XPS files) your USB flash memory drive
- One year limited warranty with free phone support for the life of your product
MFC-L9550CDW Color Laser All-in-one key features:
Includes all of the features of the HL-L9200CDWT listed above (except second paper tray), plus:
- Print/copy/scan/fax, with automatic duplex (two-sided) printing, plus single-pass duplex copying, scanning, and faxing through the 50-page capacity automatic document feeder
- Built-in NFC Card Reader for simple, walk-up authorization using a compatible NFC card or badge8
- 300-sheet capacity; optional second paper tray available12
- 4.85” Color TouchScreen Display with Web Connect to scan to your DROPBOX, BR-DOCS®, EVERNOTE®, GOOGLE DRIVE™, ONENOTE®, ONEDRIVE®, and more5
- USB Direct Interface – print files (JPEG, PDF & XPS files) from or scan to your USB flash memory drive
- Legal-size document glass