Wireless networking innovator Xirrus is determined to help SMBs address their ‘bring your own device’ (BYOD) concerns. The newly released Xirrus BYOD solution enables IT managers to monitor and control such BYOD concerns as users, applications, devices, network sizes and specifications, and more.
The Xirrus solution addresses a variety of BYOD considerations, providing functionality dedicated to managing user access, application access, device access, and network requirements for BYOD deployments. For example:
- Xirrus Access Manager - This feature provides access control and management of unknown users with unknown devices on the wireless network. It simplifies onboarding of new devices by providing access control and management of known users with unknown devices on the wireless network. It also provides secure traffic aggregation in a Xirrus Array network.
- Application Control - Application-level visibility and policy enforcement are enabled at the network edge enables prioritization, rate limiting, and firewalling of traffic by application.
- Device Optimizations - Performance optimizations for tablets and smartphones ensure each type of device on the network operates optimally, according to wireless radio type, roaming preferences, and battery power.
- RF Optimizations - Xirrus Wireless Arrays incorporate software programmable radios, providing support for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands on each radio. This enables migration over time to the 5GHz band for heightened performance as client mixes change.
- Bonjour Director - Support for Apple iOS devices and such services as Airplay and Airprint on the network are enabled via Bonjour Director, which filters and forwards Apple Bonjour traffic across multi-subnet networks.
“BYOD has created a tipping point in SMBs that many IT executives have never witnessed,” says Xirrus CEO Shane Buckley. “This shift has been so rapid and pervasive that a network build-out just to augment existing wireless bandwidth has become the highest imperative. Our announcement, we believe, is the first by any provider to take a 360-degree view of the BYOD challenge, addressing multiple vectors of the BYOD challenge and what is imposed on the performance and security of the corporate network.”