Research in Motion (RIM) has upgraded its BlackBerry Enterprise Server by making it available for Novell GroupWise.
The latest iteration, BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 5.0.4, adds a number of performance enhancements, including:
- BlackBerry Balance technology support.
- BlackBerry Mobile Fusion integration.
- Microsoft Office 2010 attachments support (i.e., password-protected attachments).
- Email pre-population changes.
- Increased maximum allowed attachment size (to 10 MB).
In addition, BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 5.0.4 includes the common features and fixtures applied to previous versions (5.0.2 and 5.0.3) as ell as the maintenance releases and quick-fixes delivered since BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Novell GroupWise 5.0.1.
BlackBerry Monitoring Service will not be included as part of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.4 installation package
Admin Service Console & Data Protection
In addition to the features offered in BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 5.0.4, improvements have been made to the BlackBerry Administration Service Console. For example, admins can now:
- Choose which columns are displayed (and sort them).
- Export data into .CSV or .XML files for reporting and reference.
- Use improved Online Help features.
- Employ efficiencies for IT policy and software configuration deployments, enabling group or individual assignments.
BlackBerry Balance enables the use of personally owned BlackBerry devices for work by creating a secure and manageable perimeter to hold work data, complete with policies for restricting work data from being accessed by personal accounts or applications. This also provides peace of mind for employees, as when corporate data and accounts are wiped from the device, personal information remains intact.
The ability to integrate with BlackBerry Mobile Fusion is also an important consideration for enterprises looking to deploy BlackBerry PlayBook tablets, and/or Android- and iOS-based devices. BlackBerry Mobile Fusion provides functionality to manage smartphones and tablets in an SMB organization from a Web-based console.
Channel pros can get the service pack update by visiting www.blackberry.com/besupdate.